Thursday, October 22, 2009

Welcome!!

Hello! My name is Jessica and this is Allora Handmade.
So, what do you do when you have 2 babies (Owen - 2 - the cutest little tasmanian devil/curly-haired tornado/ball of energy you'll ever meet, and Henry- 7 months- the smiliest/squishiest/yummiest/kissable-est baby on the planet), live in a new town, and have a husband (crazy cute and wicked smart - chemical engineering, hello!!) back in school full time? Well, start a business of course!! It definitely was not ever in my plans to start up this little shop of mine - and certainly not in one of the busiest, craziest times of my life. But, that is right where I found myself this past summer. Searching for a way to provide a few more pennies toward the starving student fund, I decided, on a whim really, to go for it. And Allora Handmade was born. Just a few months after Henry.
Truth be told, in every stage of my life I have sought an artistic outlet to express myself and have always loved the creative process. I really do believe that "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul" - Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I used to consider myself an artist, but unfortunately, for many years school and jobs got in the way of my creativity. It wasn't until I became a mom that I found myself longing to use my little hands to make something! Anything! I started sewing - at first with terribly crooked lines, and gradually found a niche in Allora Handmade that I absolutely love.
One of my favorite things is to be able to gift something one of a kind and unique - that was not made in China, but was made by me. This has always been my best creative process- making something beautiful for someone I love. And honestly, my friends and family who have been on the receiving end have been my greatest encouragement to go ahead with this little venture. I am constantly amazed and humbled that someone would want to buy something that I made! Wow! Cool!
When I'm not busy mommy-ing, wife-ing, or Allora-ing, I enjoy running and eating. Too bad they cancel eachother out. I get giddy hanging out with good girlfriends, eating authentic mexican food, and watching so you think you can dance (i admit it!). I hope you find something you love, and something that helps you feel like your best self. That is one of my favorite things about what I do. I know these things make me feel pretty, sassy, bold, and really, I am always creating things to match my mood. Hopefully I can do the same for you as well!

1 comments:

Los Alexander said...

You are a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Just like the Hermana Mendioroz I once met! This is crazy, the girl that cuts my hair showed me one of your lovely headbands, and I just check the word on google...what a great surprise! I know who you are, and you are so talented! and famous now! :)
I'm happy for you! Now I need to save some money so I can get my own headbands for Christmas!
Congratulations on the beautiful family, and the bussines!
-Tania (Nahuelcura)

Post a Comment

whaddayathink?